In praise of summer, this Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart is the dessert of now!
it’s a pie in the sky, adapted from Nick Malgieri’s cookbook Bake! (Kyle Books 2010)
Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart
Makes a 10-inch or 8 to 10 servings
The dough is enough for 2 tarts
Cookie Dough Tart Crust
¼ cup (52g) slivered almonds
¾ cup (108g) confection sugar
2 ½ cups (405g) all-purpose flour
2 sticks (227g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Almond Crumb Topping
1 ¼ cup (190g) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (65g) organic sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup (35g) slivered almonds
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
1 lb (454g) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confection sugar (more for garnish)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lb strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and halved (or quartered if large)
- Prepare the Dough:Combine the almonds and confection sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse repeatedly until finely ground, about 1 minute. No visible pieces of almond should remain. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl.
- Add the flour and salt and pulse a couple of times to mix. Add the butter and pulse well. Add the yolks and vanilla and pulse until the dough form a a ball.
- Invert the dough onto a floured surface. Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, or at least 1 minute. You can prepare the dough u to 5 days ahead.
- Bring the dough to room temperature at least 20 minutes before handling. Flour the surface and dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a round disk, adding pinches of flour under and on top of the dough as needed.
- Warp the dough on the rolling pin, lift it onto the tart pan, and unwrap. Fit the dough into the pan, making sure it’s flat against the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim away the excess.
- Plate the tart pan in the refrigerator and chill for at least 20 minutes before blind baking.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350˚F. Line the crust, bottom and sides with a parchment paper and fill with dry beans. Bake until the crust is dry and looking set, about 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and return the tart to bake until the crust is evenly lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the crust on a rack.
- Prepare the Almond Crumb:In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the almonds and butter. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes then use your fingers to break the mixture into ¼ – to – 1/2-inch crumbs. Spread the crumbs onto a sheet pan and bake in the oven until deep golden brown.
- Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling:Place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the confection sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla and continue beating until lightened, about 1 minute.
- Assemble the Tart:Spread half of the cream cheese filling on the bottom of the tart crust and arrange the berries on it, cut side down. Spread the remaining filling over the berries. Scatter the crumb topping over the filling. Right before serving, dust the top with confection sugar.
- Unmold the tart and slide it off the pan base to a platter and serve.